Jan 28, 2016

Wendy's Story

The last week and a half has been pretty crazy for us. We officially have a cat now. If you know anything about my allergies, perhaps you're interested in why we have chosen to keep a little death-ball. You can read about those specifics here.

What we know of our cat's story starts in Southern Utah. Todd's cousin, Chad, found her inside the hotel where he works. Someone must have let her in from the cold (or somehow snuck her in and left her). Chad put her out back where all the stray kitties hang out. He figured she would find her mom, and be gone. However, when he checked back a while later, she was still there. So, he took her home, and posted on Facebook asking if anyone wanted a cat.


I saw this post, but, as he lives all the way across the state, I didn't think much of it. However, at 1 a.m. on Sunday night (/Monday morning, really), I saw that he had posted again, earlier in the day, saying that he didn't live in pet-friendly housing, and that, if no one wanted her, he would have to take her to a shelter the next day.


The pictures he added with this second post included one of here very well-behaved in the bath, and pictures of her cuddling. She looked very sweet, and it was clear that her eyes were a bit crusty--she was sick.

I don't know if it was because we know Chad well enough (instead of, say, just a friend-of-a-friend posting abut a cat), or because I technically would be able to get her, but when I saw that no one else was able to take her, I knew I had to. I commented on his post, telling him not to send her off to a kill shelter, and that, if need-be, I'd drive all day to get her.

That night, I had a hard time sleeping. She just seemed too sick and nice to get put in a shelter in a town in the middle of nowhere.

Luckily, the next day, Todd, who had Chad's number, texted him, and told him I'd come get the cat. I was so relieved that he would wait for me to come get her! Even more heroic was his decision to meet me halfway, cutting my trip in half. We decided to meet Tuesday morning to pass her. That evening, Todd and I went to Petco to get a litterbox, the cheapest bed in the store, and some food.

Out plan was to foster her for a few days, until, hopefully, one of our friends could take her, or eventually put her in a no-kill shelter if that didn't work out. We'd have her 1-3 days, and feel good about placing her in a good home.

Upon meeting up with Chad, I realized that Wendy was much smaller than I'd expected. From her photos, I'd assumed she was a petite cat about a year old. No, she was tiny--like 3 months!

Despite my labors cutting large slats into a moving box with scissors the night before, Wendy was so small, she could escape the box, so she ended up on my lap (dangerous) the first third of our drive back, and in the litterbox (not the bed) in the box the rest of the way.

On the drive, I tried to come up with a name for her while she was with us, but nothing stuck, really. It wasn't until I was back home in the second bathroom (her home-base) that I looked at her and thought, "She's just so darling........Wendy." It felt right immediately.

After spending a few hours in the car with her, and seeng her at home, it was clear she was sicker than we'd thought she would be. We had figured we'd have her checked out if she didn't have a new home in 3-4 days. After talking to Mom, though, I decided to call up a vet, and, thankfully, they squeezed us in not an hour after I called.

At the vet, I found out even more concerning information. She didn't have a sinus infection--she had either kitty chlamydia, or a viral respiratory infection. For the next week, she'd need an oral medicine twice a day, and an eye gel (that you apply from corner-to-corner across the eyeball) three times a day. They also informed me that he wasn't as young as she seemed. Despite being tiny, tiny she had her adult teeth in, and was 5-8 months old. I don't know if it was genetics or malnutrition that kept her so small, but she was a little thing. On top of those things, she has a knee condition--luxating patella. Basically, her knees aren't properly aligned. Since I was just in for medication, and wasn't planning on keeping her, I didn't learn much more. He said she needn't be prevented from jumping or anything, but, in general, we'll have to keep an eye on it.

From Todd, and my further research, there are several stages of the condition, ranging from mild (you don't have to do anything) where the knee can be popped back in for a time, to it only being able to be popped back in for a short time, to only being able to hold it in the right place, to not being able to fix it. As I mentioned before, I didn't worry about getting much more information then, but, based on the vet's lack of popping her knees back, I assume she may have stage 3 or 4. Basically, she would need surgery before arthritis sets in, to ensure things stay alright. A quick Google search suggested that, per leg, the procedure could cost $500-1200.

Well, we had no idea what to do. Obviously, we had to keep the cat for at least a couple days, since she was so sick, and had gone on a very long car ride. After talking things through some more, we even decided it'd be best to keep her through her entire chlamydia medication, because it was so intense. Plus, I work from home, so I'd be able to look after her.

Pretty quickly, we learned that Wendy, though a fan of cuddling, mostly just prefers to be in the same room as you....but if she's not, she gets upset, and cries (she is THE most vocal cat I've ever met). So, she needs to be around people most of the time, and is pretty sick, with the potential of an expensive surgery. Who would want to take that on? Surely we couldn't keep her with my allergies.

However, the reason I gave up (re-homed) my dog was strictly for the hives I got every time I touched him--I can handle sniffles. Plus, Wendy is so small, so she'll be able to produce less allergens, and she's at least able to be bathed...maybe she would be the right cat for us.

Interestingly enough, since the end of November, I've had this feeling...or prompting that something was going to happen in January. I've fasted 3 times about it since then, and prayed. I felt like there was nothing I could do to really prepare, but that January was significant. I pondered what it could possibly be, and wondered if I needed to do anything new, or make any change, but I never got a strong 'positive'. And then, in January, we get this cat.

The whole point (one of them) of immunotherapy is so that you an have a pet, and be okay. Todd and I thought we'd think about getting a less-allergenic cat in maybe 5 years, but, here, we have Wendy.

We made a list of pros-and-cons, and realized that only allergies were holding us back. We decided we'd 'soft' keep her, unless, in the next few days, my allergies went nuts.

On Friday, at the allergist, I told my shot-giver the situation, and asked what he thought--would it work? I wasn't about to get attached to another pet I'd have to give away. He said he's thought'd it'd be fine, and doubled-checked with my doctor.

So, the next day, Todd and I decided that if they said it would work out, then screw this last 5% chance that maybe she wouldn't stay--she is ours.

Wendy was super-low energy, because she was so sick, but now she is acting like an age-appropriate terror (I mean that in the best way).

It wasn't until Sunday that everything really sunk in. We have a cat! I have cried numerous times about my potential lifelong-cat-barreness (If you can't understand that at all, we probably aren't that close). The worst thing in my entire life was giving up a dog I loved, and I thought I'd never have a pet; but now, here we are: two happy kids and a cat.

Life can sure bring unexpected changes.

As it turns out, not-sick Wendy hates baths (too bad for her), and she is much fluffier! Her fur is the closest to my favourite animal's (Chrissy, my cat back home) that I've come across (and I used to go pet Petco or Petsmart's cats once or twice a month)! She could hardly open her eyes on day one, but now her eyes are rarely watery.

Unfortunately, after her 7 days of meds, she is still quite the sneezer, so she's on a further 10 day round of meds.

You wouldn't know it, though, she has a couple hours of spastic play every day, bites hands and feet like it's her job, loves to bat around Lego people, and napping in the nicest chair in the house, on our computer cases, or the piano.

She's already grown a bunch. We're hopeful she'll be in perfect health in another week! Either way, life with her is much more entertaining. Both myself and--awesomely--Todd are absolutely smitten with her. What a perfect way to start off the New Year!

For an awesome cat video about her rescue, watch my vlog here!

(day 1) (day 10)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you! She is quite the cutie. FYI, we had loads of fun with our first cat CJ extending a metal tape measure towards her and watching her eyes get really big and preparing to pounce and then retracting it.

Unknown said...

You saved a cat's life.Consider yourself a hero.