Dec 9, 2014

On Spirituality

    I think there are three kinds (who knows, maybe more) of spirituality. The first is obvious--practicing your religion, and growing closer to God. Personally, I’ve not been doing super hot at this one recently. Consistent scripture study, and personal prayer, seem like they’ll never be where they were when I was 17 (what I consider my ‘peak’), and I’m enjoying connecting, laughing, and spending time with my husband to want to stop what we’re doing, much of the time. It’s something to work on, to be sure.

The second is the spirituality of self, or what I refer to as being/feeling “centered”. This was something I strove for with such intensity as a 17 year old, that I didn’t want to be too bubbly/excitable (and I, naturally, am quite excitable and passionate), or be bothered by anyone other than my family, on occasion. Books and thoughts, and writing. That’s not necessary for me now, but I think being centered is a huge thing--one we really ought to focus on more. See, something we sometimes talk about in Gospel settings is that in losing yourself, you find yourself. I think that’s true. When you aren’t just focused on you, and are, instead, looking to serve others (whether it’s as simple as tidying up and getting things sorted before your spouse, or putting together Christmas boxes for Operation Christmas Child, or even going out of your way to help a friend), you practice being a more selfless, more caring, empathetic version of yourself. You find the better part of you. However, in losing yourself to other things, or maybe too much of giving to others and never getting anything back to replenish you, you may lose touch with yourself.

That happened to me upon going to college. Only recently, being settled with someone I love, have I been gaining back my passion for my goals, and my creative spirit. However, it has only been this semester, through taking Dean’s 477 Autobiographical class, that I have come back into myself. I’m more centered. This does not entail being self-centered and narcissistic, but, rather, always aware of your connections--to others, to your own life and where you’re headed, to the world. That sounds like a lot to balance, but I find it allows one to really recognize themselves, and see themselves clearer. It’s a lot to think about, but that only creates more room for ideas, stories, and ways to improve yourself.

The third, and final kind of spirituality I noticed in just recently; I’ve been growing more sensitive to it, and now I can grasp it. The third kind of spirituality is of truth and sincerity. It’s a huge thing! This includes filmmakers and writers, creating characters who are fashioned into people that we love, and care for. It includes the natural goodness of things--objects, nature, simple, tiny, yet profoundly important vignettes in life. It includes people’s earnestness (with kindness) in their opinions or choices, based off of them thinking things through and coming to what they consider to be the most correct conclusions. This third spirituality includes the other two spiritualities as well--all things that are good, and wholesome, that are the created from that most honest place we all have in our hearts that causes us to want to strive for personal perfection.

Recently, the first has been a little harder to balance. The second, I am only now coming back into, and having to try and find a place for it in myself and my life, now that I’m so a few years older, and in in an entirely different place. The third is the one I think I need to see more of now that I’ve recognized it. It’s the one that’s everywhere. You don’t have to do much to notice it, but if you really let it in, it will aide you in getting the others sorted rightly, too.

No comments: