Mar 9, 2013

"Queen of Versailles" Review

So, a few days ago, I watched the documentary “Queen of Versailles”. As a super short summary, it’s about a wealthy time-share owning family where there is 30 years between the husband and wife, tackiness in taste abounds, and their lives go downhill as the market crashes.
    I think that the director did a good job of telling a story that took place over several years. This was especially effective in his interviews with a couple of the children. As they aged, they became more aware of how imperfect their ‘perfect ‘lives were. Also, there was some nice exposition, allowing me to understand how life and had been, and was, for them at the start of the film. That was contrasted nicely with later interviews while they were struggling, and talking about how difficult this change was.
    I did not find anything particularly confusing or ineffective as far as the storytelling went--although their lifestyle definitely made me wonder how anyone could become like that, at times.
    Interestingly enough, at the start of the film, I found the wife unbearably tacky. However, after getting her backstory, one that had some less-than positive moments that were outside of her control, I had a change of mind. Although she still made me wonder how she could have fallen into being so tasteless, I felt like I understood her initial choices (such as marrying her husband) a lot more, and I felt sympathy for her. It helped that they showed pictures of her from when she was normal, before she had her life turned all around--it showed that she really was just a typical, maybe even pretty level-headed, person once upon a time.
    While watching, I never felt manipulated. Although I think the filmmaker had no desire to make their subjects look bad, they seemed to just show things as they were (which at times did not make them look great). This made the film feel like a pretty unbiased look into the wealthiest’s lives. I think they tried to be fair when representing their subjects, and did not try to skew the events that happened.

No comments: