Sep 12, 2011

Scientific Reason Why I Am Having a Hard Time Out Here at School

     So, this morning I got up and checked my email, just like every morning. I am subscribed to Dr. Oz’s Real Age, and read the short articles in the email I had received from them. One such article stated that, based off of 3 different studies, living with a pet has a considerable effect on one’s health. I had heard before that petting a cat lowered stress levels, or something like that, but this article mentioned a few benefits that I hadn’t thought of before, and upon pondering them, I believe them to be correct. These benefits are that one feels less lonely, is more extroverted, has greater self-esteem, and are generally healthier and happier.
    Though I cannot certainly cannot contribute my exceeding happiness at home to my cat only, I do believe she did provide those benefits, and I am now feeling a the emptiness that comes when such things are taken away. It isn’t really a secret--unless you do not really know me and assume that this just cannot be possible--that I do not really love social scenes. Don’t get me wrong--I love to socialize, but with those whom I can carry on a meaningful conversation. When I am home, every time I am in my room, my cat, Chrissy is in there. She is always either next to me, close to me, visible, or hearable.



 
    See what I mean? Before I came to college last year, I used to think that I loved being alone; as it turns out, there is a big difference between being alone, and just being with one’s pet. I do not really love to be alone. Instead, I greatly enjoy being away from others sometimes, but still with another breathing creature (as in pet...not like a creepy-crawly, slimy, slithery, creature...or rat, or bug, etc.) Furthermore, I do think that I am a little more extroverted at home than here. Sure, being at home is familiar, but I am more likely to want to have fun with some people I know at home. At school, even though I could go do something, I stay home more because when all of my flatmates are gone, there isn’t any noise, and it is nice to just chill without other people all around. I do not have a particularly low self-esteem, but I must say I have noticed a slight decline since arriving out here. Perhaps it is because pets look to you to care for them and love you back with all of their hearts; either way, I felt more confident in my academic activities--such as putting together an application--at home than I do here (though that may be partly because I now must balance classes and homework).
    Overall, I daresay that I felt healthier, even though I ate Anthony’s dessert fairly regularly, and happier at home than I do here. Obviously, my family has a massive part in that, but I think it would be unfair to not address the fact that pets really do benefit one’s life greatly because the social support they give is so pure and complete. (And yes, even though I like to pick on her, I would much rather have Ziva here than no pet).
So, here's to you Chrissy, my best pet friend forever.


 

No comments: