Nov 28, 2010

Things I Learned My First Semester At BYU

With only about 3 weeks left of my first semester at college left, I thought I'd share a--pretty long--list of things that I have learned (yes, I know a lot of them have to do with food):

1.) I will never do another 8 a.m. class. No matter what the subject is, though it doesn’t seem like it’d be that hard/bad, I will NEVER be happy to go.

2.) PS 100 should be renamed PS 1,000,000.
3.) American Heritage: Dr. Patterson(despite his reputation)=good, tests=awful.
4.) I learned how to do basic social dance, and am Bronze Level certified; your partner makes a lot of difference.
5.) I’m not scared to sing solo anymore(maybe).
6.) Skype is brilliant.

7.) Music Fundamentals=something I don’t want or care to know about.
8.) Your dorm will become quite homey.
9.) The Cannon Center food is not so good.
10.) Legends Grille food is really good.
11.) Jamba Juice is good and healthy.
12.) L&T salads are good.
13.) It won’t necessarily be cold in October (but the day after you get back from the beach, of course, there will definitely be 6 inches of snow on the ground).
14.) Turning the AC to 55 in your dorm room doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t still be 70.
15.) My R.A. is awesome.
16.) Walking up the hill to campus everyday, sometimes multiple times, is not enjoyable.
17.) It takes twice as much time to get to campus then to get back home. Weird.
18.) Pendulum Court food is great.
19.) Going to the Advisement Center helps you think things out.
20.) Get to class when the class before lets out if you want to get a really good seat.
21.) Don’t EVER get behind in American Heritage (especially if you also get behind in PS 1,000,000)!
22.) Book of Mormon class is incredible (as is Brother Parker).
23.) If I didn't have warm leggings, I would die.
24.) 2 a.m. has lost ANY tiny appeal it still had had before college.
25.) Going to bed before 1 is “early”.
26.) A comfy bed is, surprisingly, possible to have with a dorm mattress and it is SO nice.
27.) It’s super fun to make a roomie quote wall.
28.) College girls color princess pictures during Conference.
29.) Dorm internet is not so fast--it’s even slower with the BYU website. Figures.
30.) Comedy events are so great.
31.) BYU Bookstore market bagels are yummy; so is the cream cheese.
32.) It’s fun when your dad comes to visit.
33.) There’s not enough time to do everything you want and need to do.
34.) Visiting hours all but die after a little over a month.
35.) Dorm drink machines and microwaves are very unreliable.
36.) Review Rooms are a gift from God to students.
37.) Don’t try the wraps.
38.) Waiting 2 weeks to do your laundry is not fun.
40.) Ward Wrap-Up midweek is nice.
41.) Knowing your way around campus doesn't take that long.
42.) BYU feels like it’s own planet--the real world seems so strange.
43.) In Utah, BBQ=hamburger; Shake=blizzard. It's ridiculous.
44.) Not having a kitchen is not fun.
45.) Having a floor bathroom is not actually a pain.

So, there you have it, a--very long--list of information I have gathered over the past 3 months. See? I am learning out here.

No comments: